Webinar #2: 19 February 2016
ADB supports the COP21 by pushing for an integrated approach to urban transport planning and management.
In 2015, the international community came up with two landmark agreements that have an impact on sustainable urban transport. These are on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the 21st Conference of the Parties (COP21) to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
This webinar aimed to:
- Discuss the implications and applications of COP21 on the urban transport sector;
- Present an integrated approach to urban transport planning and management in the context of BRT and road safety; and
- Describe ADB contributions to urban transport in terms of knowledge sharing and learning, financing, and inclusive development
The following were the speakers and discussants of the session:
Part 1: Transport Megatrends and COP21
- Speakers: Cornie Hulzenga, Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT) Secretary General; and Amit Bhatt, World Resources Institute (WRI);
- Discussant: Lloyd Wright, ADB Senior Transport Specialist.
Part 2: Priority Areas on Sustainable Urban Transport
- Speakers: Ki-Joon Kim, ADB Senior Tranport Specialist; Xiaomei Duan, Transportation Director of Guangzhou Municipal Engineering Design and Research Institute; and Dario Hidalgo, Director of Transport Practice for WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities;
- Discussant: Keeyeon Keith Huwang, Hongik University.
Pre-Event Activities and Other Resources
Prior to the session, participants were encouraged to read the materials and view the videos below to prepare themselves before the event proper. Click on the titles to view and read the resources.
- After COP21, Time to Use Sustainable Transport to Make Good on Climate Commitments. This short web article from WRI looks forward to the shifting discussion andpriorities in the transport sector as a result of COP21.
- What is BRT? This webpage provides basic information about BRT, including several videos to illustrate BRT features.
- Guangzhou, China: Winning the Future with BRT. This 5-minute video from the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) presents the award winning BRT project in Guanzhou, China.
- Why Buses Represent Democracy in Action. In this video the speaker shares some of the tactics to change the transportation dynamic in a city where he is mayor, and suggests ways to think about building smart cities of the future.
- Road Safety Action Plan: An Overview. This document provides the basis for ADB to play a more proactive role to support developing countries in Asia and the Pacific in their efforts to achieve sustainable, effective, and cost-effective improvements in road safety.
- New York Streets? Not So Mean Anymore. This video presents a funny and thought-provoking talk by the transportation commissioner of New York. Her advice to make streets friendlier: Try out cheap and bold experiments.
- Climate Change: Oh, It's Real. This is a compilation of 10 short videos from different TED Talks featuring former US Vice-President Al Gore and other prominent personalities. This playlist serves as a primer about the reality of climate change happening today.